Tuesday 25 March 2014

Minature knitts



Today at Lee Mill I have been learning about how the artefacts are documented and archived and how the data base works. The guild have a few ways of documenting the artefacts; one way is filing cards in order of date, each card includes the type of item e.g. sweater or socks, the item number, the type of knit or crochet, the colour and a description of the item, where or who the item was acquired from and where appropriate the price it was bought for or the donors name and also the box number it is stored in. This information is also documented on a data base and today I was helping to check the cards and the data base matched. Another documentation method the guild is intending to set up is a system where every item in each box is photographed as a collection so everything can be found quickly and easily. The item number is made up of the date it was acquired, the donor number (assigned by who it was acquired from) and a number for each item that was acquired from the same place e.g. 1993/0073/0001 or 1993/0073/0002

Another thing I did today was look for any miniature items I could find. I am looking for miniature items because I am attempting to make links to other project I am involved in that is all about art of the miniature (no bigger than 20x20). I thought it would be interesting to see what tiny treasures the guild might have to inspire my miniature project but also because my focus on the Lee Mills project so far has been about miscellaneous objects so I thought it would be appropriate for that too. 

So the mini treasures I have found today are as follows, I added a twenty pence piece to give an idea of scale.

Purses and Pence Jugs


 I am in love with this tiny purse it is adorable and elegant and I love the design with the little tassels over the opening to hold the pennies in .


Pence jugs where once very popular gifts. I think they are very glamorous decorated with metal beads and tassels and they commonly had a metal ring on them that would be pulled around the neck of the jug to hold the pennies inside.


This purse has some damage but I was drawn to it because of the very tiny beads that have been threaded on, it must have taken a lot of effort and a long time.

Tiny socks 
Tiny mittens
 Tiny knitting
 Earrings
 Thimble
 Tiny sock
 Tiny dolls dress

The final thing that I did today was take part in a discussion with my group. We have come to the decision that  each of our reports will be individual to us and our interests and our collaborative work will come together in the article we are writing for slipknot, including our experiences and interests in the guild but most importantly to promote the knitting and crochet guild and getting it some more recognition.
-Evangeline-

No comments:

Post a Comment