Wednesday 9 April 2014

WORLD CULTURE'S INSPIRING BRITISH KNITTING

On the 8th of April, we took our last trip to the Lee Mills Archive, my aims were to discover patterns or garments in the collection that had been inspired by a different culture.
Barbara showed me a selection of knitted items that had been bought by Coats from around the world. She said that these items were bought to reconstruct into knitting patterns for Patons. This shows what I am investigating very well as it shows a knitted company bought items from around the world to be inspired by. Barbara is going to send me copies of these patterns which I am going to include into my article and as part of my personal investigation for this project I am going to knit swatches of each pattern repeat in each pattern.

LATVIAN MITTENS


FAIR ISLE GLOVES

Although Fair Isle is still British, it is pretty much the most northern part of it, these gloves are another example that Barbara showed me that have been used to inspire a Patons pattern.
 

TRADITIONAL VIENESSE JACKET (AUSTRIAN)



I thought that this Traditional Jacket was beautiful design and decorated, unfortunately they don't know whether there is a pattern made from this one. But because I showed must interest Barbara said that she would have a look through the PSD of the Patons patterns for me. What a star!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment