Monday 7 April 2014

Marianne Joergensen

A combat tank from WWII is the main attraction for this art piece.  There was a protest against the Danish involvement in the war in Iraq and this tank was covered with knitted and crocheted squares. People from European countries and the USA came together to volunteer to knit this work of art. This covering has about 4000 pink squares.

When I look at this tank, I see a strong and powerful visualization of thoughtfulness. I love that this knitted tank has hundreds of knitted patches and has been made is many different ways. I think that by knitting your opinions gives any kind of project that you’re doing an aspect of how important it is. I think it shows the importance beyond the use of words. I see the tank as a symbol for stepping over borders but when I see it covered in pink, I feel that it re creates a purpose as it looks completely unarmed and loses it’s authority.

1 comment:

  1. Imogen, all these are really interesting examples of people using knitting to make social and political statements. Amazing what can be done.

    Have you heard about the initiative to knit a 'scarf' between the nuclear research facilities in southern England?

    Web site: http://www.woolagainstweapons.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete