Monday 7 April 2014

Lea Le Bricomte

Lea Le Bricomte has worked with bullets, missiles and real medals, which have often, cause problems with international transport. She has attached skateboard wheels to first World War shells. This recent installation called ‘Wall of Fame’ consists of dripping medals from World War 1 honours. Me personally, I have two different points of view.





My first point of view is that while I agree that it is important to remember the Great War, I’m not entirely sure if this is the way to do it as there are already many memorials that exist. I find the ironic art has almost become a part of this mode establishment art world. Most of this art was to be considered critical but now it is shown to be a force of mannerism. There are many WW1 and WW2 memorials that have historical and primary roots as many of the soldiers during these two wars were declared “missing” and now there is demand to show something for their efforts and “sacrifice”. I don’t know if war should be a subject for art by the pure mix of the political views it has.


My second point of view is that I do find it important that artist’s show how sensitive and ironic the collections are as it can show how we remember the people that we loved and their sacrifices. But I also see it as that each generation can view this in their own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment